Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Someone called me on July 23, 2015 tosee if he could fit me

Customer Question

Someone called me on July 23, 2015 tosee if he could fit me with a belt for my back. He said he needed my ss# ***** see if I qualified. I called back today and the number has been disconnected. I probably was scamed. Can I do anything about it?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
You can contact the police and give them the information about the caller. You should also report this to the FBI online at IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.
More important than that, you've got to take precautions against identity theft. First of all, you need to contact Social Security and let them know that your number has been compromised. You are going to want to follow the directions on the Social Security Administration's website.
www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html
They do not usually feel it's necessary to get you a new social security number but you can take that up with them. They do want you to notify the IRS so that nobody can grab your tax refund or collect unemployment or social security benefits in your name, for example.
Then, to make sure that these scammers do not have enough information about you to open up accounts or credit cards in your name, you need to do the following:
Call any one of the three credit reporting bureaus -- Experian, TransUnion or Equifax -- and tell them you're the victim of a fraud and ask them to put a fraud alert on your credit history. When you call one of the bureaus and ask for a fraud alert, any one of the three bureaus will alert the other two and you'll be able to get a full credit report automatically from each of them. You'll be able to see if any of your loans and cards are unauthorized and get that taken care of and cancel any cards or accounts which were compromised.
A fraud alert is free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a card or an account or take out a loan in your name, you will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line gets authorized. After 90 days, you can continue the service for a fee.
A fraud alert will not affect your credit negatively. It is only to protect you, and it won't change the way you can use your credit card or bank accounts. It just alerts new lenders not to approve new lines of credit without contacting you first.
I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy.
https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html
Again, all three perform the same service and any one will notify the other two. Shortly thereafter you'll also get a copy of your credit history from each of the 3 reporting agencies.
You'll also need to be vigilant about looking at all of your bank and credit card statements and quickly reporting any unauthorized accounts and charges, so that you won't have to pay them. Later on, you'd be entitled to get a free copy of your credit report online, compliments of the Federal Trade Commission at annualcreditreport.com, which is the only government approved, free source for your credit histories. You won't need it right away because you'll be getting a copy of your report. But as time goes on, you are going to want to monitor your credit report every now and again, just to be sure than nothing else has occurred.
Good luck!