LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

We are not yet legally separated. Can I place an ad in the

Customer Question

We are not yet legally separated. Can I place an ad in the newspapers indicating that I am no longer responsible for debts (personal or legal)?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. So what exactly is the situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have left my husband; am now living in North Carolina. He is self-employed and has legal issues. I want to be sure that I will not be held responsible for any debts, personal or legal, that he may incur from this date. I do intend to pursue a divorce when I am financially able to pay a lawyer.
Thank you for the additional information. Publishing an ad in the newspaper will not likely afford you any protection, if he were to do something. What you can do if you are separated, is remove your name from any joint credit cards or any other type of credit, which he may access, that you are named on as well. Moreover, anything that is incurred during this time period, he would be responsible for once you file and the martial debts and assets are shared and divided. The goal is to try and remove your name from as many things as possible at this time, so you will not be linked to any debt he may incur. Obviously, you signing a legal document would bind you, so you will not be going that going forward, so the issue is closing out anything that may be open.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!