Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have a lien on my condo from my condo association. as I missed

Customer Question

I have a lien on my condo from my condo association. as I missed a few payment last year I just sent them a check fo $1,000.00. Now they are asking for another $855.00 to cover late fees, etc. They provided me a statement which I read, and I feel that the charges are simply way to much. Do I have any legal recourse? I would like to get the lien removed, however I do not want to pay them waht they are asking. Please advise.
Keith Cundiff
cel:(###) ###-####
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Unfortunately, if your Bylaws and CCRs state that late fees and attorney fees will be added in to any delinquent amounts as well as costs of collection, then legally they can do so and you would have to pay off the entire amount in order to be able to force them to file a lien release on your property..You could try to settle it by offering a lower amount, but in my experience most Associations won't settle because they know that they have the condo to go after and foreclose on if they aren't paid..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister