LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I received a hospital bill from my father's surgery but unfortunately

Customer Question

I received a hospital bill from my father's surgery but unfortunately he passed away a week after the surgery...is he still liable since he is deceased?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. While as a technicality because your father is deceased, he cannot be held personally liable for the debt. However, his estate is liable for the debt and any assets he had at death became part of his estate and the estate can be sued to collect the debt. If he has no assets in his estate, then the debt is uncollectable and will be written off by the hospital. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.I wish you and yours the best in 2015,Doug