Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was stopped at Marshall's accused of shoplifting. I have

Customer Question

I was stopped at Marshall's accused of shoplifting. I have no idea if I had any rights, I cooperated. I was insulted to the point it's hard to believe and on top of everything the confiscated my sunglasses, the spray tan and an eyelash conditioner I bought IN A DIFFERENT STORE. The spray was returned, the rest I noticed at home. I denied all the accusations, but when they gave me a paper to sign - I did. I wanted out of there!! I was in a back room, 2 scary guys and a really fat girl blocking the door. It happened in CA, laws are a little different in every state. Unfortunately, judgmental condescending people of all professions are in all 50. I need to please speak to an open minded professional that only operates on mutual respect. Thank you
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
What is it that you signed? Was it a paper agreeing to pay a civil fine and to be barred from this company's store? Were you also charged criminally or did you only deal with store security?
What do you wish to ask about this situation?