Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I have portrait studio name of Super Shots in Portland

Customer Question

Hi, I have portrait studio name of Super Shots in Portland Oregon. I bought a inkjet printer on June of 2012 from Noritsu America Corporation.
The printer model is Noritsu D502 double side printing machine.
It can make photo books and single sheets of 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 and 8.5x11 as well. The machine only can use Noritsu inks and papers. There are no aftermarket inks and papers available. The machine has distintive sensors
which it can tell the differences between original product and aftermarket
product. Besides, there is no ther type of ink cartridges that I can buy it will work on the machine.
When I bought the machine it came with set of Inks and some papers.
Last 3 year of usage of machine was very minimal because I have not ordered more supplies since I bought the machine
This year spring I ran out of inks and papers so for the first time in 3 years I order 3 ink cartridges and some papers but before I finished the supplies the machine broken down ( printed less than 200 prints from the new supply).
I called the company and they sent the technician, it cost me $225 to look at the machine. The technicial said the following
There are inks smeared all over the mother boards and it short the circuits
and he thinks it is boyond repair. He also said that he could install the new
heads but he does not think it wil cure the problems. Cost for the replace
the new heads was about $3,000 but If I want to replace whole chip boards then it will cost over $10,000. I decided to not to fix the machine.
Do you think I have the case to return the machine and get money back?
I bought the machine for $20,000 and I only printed less than 800 sheets of papers.
Thank you for your advice
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer that I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Just because you did not use the machine doe snot mean that it gives you the right to return it. Ultimately what governs here is the contract, so if the contract permits you to return, or there is a warranty that was in breach which permits you to hold the manufacturer responsible for repairs or replacement, you can then attempt to return. Otherwise I am afraid that this is your machine even if it is broken and you do not use it very often. I am sorry! Sincerely, ***** *****