Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I have a DE state handicapped license plate and went to Philadelphia,

Customer Question

I have a DE state handicapped license plate and went to Philadelphia, Pa on 2-28-15, parked in a handicapped designated spot, purchased a Kiosk ticket and displayed in window as instructed and was given a ticket for parking in a "prohibited" spot at 12:11 pm even though my Kiosk ticket/time didn't expire until 12:22 pm. Philadelphia has an ordinance giving handicapped people an additional 30 minutes past the expiration of the Kiosk time, which I was not past as I still had 11 minutes plus the additional 30 minutes allowed by the city. I feel I was targeted 1) for being out of state and 2) being handicapped
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a Pennsylvania licensed professional who happens to practice in the Philadelphia area. If I may ask, did you park at a handicapped location and spot, or a general spot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Handicapped spot.
Hi, In this situation you have the right to go to the PPA office which is located at *****and provide evidence that you paid but that the ticket was falsely provided. PPA does not discriminate against out of state drivers or those who are handicapped, they ticket everyone and they are unfortunately amazingly efficient at it. I suspect that because you are out of state they might not have seen the handicapped plates but luckily their appeals office is very understanding so long as you have proof that you paid the ticket (credit card receipt or the stub). Please contact them, schedule a hearing, and fight this out--but speaking from personal experience they do not inherently discriminate but they do make mistakes. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know how they didn't see the handicapped sign on the license plate as they had to enter it into their hand held machine. Strangely the 2 cars parked in front of me with expired Kiosk tickets by over a half an hour received NO tickets and they were PA registered cars. So what's really up with my getting a ticket, handicapped or out of state?? ADA has told me this should have been forgiven and not to the point of an appeal. Philly just wants me to pay parking garage fees and spend money for gas
Hi, The Philadelphia Parking Authority can also permit you to try to appeal online. Typically the best luck to terminate is in person, but you can go to http://www.philapark.org/ and file with them directly. I agree that it should have been forgiven, but you need to contact them and demand removal as forgiveness won't take place without a request from you. As far as not ticketing the other cars, that is not something that I have seen so far. One potential basis may be that certain parts of the city may have local permits and licenses that permit vehicles to part without paying additional fees if they pay for an annual license. But that is just a guess on my part as I do not know where you parked exactly, and what specifically may have been the concerns there with the other vehicles.Sincerely,Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on SS Disability because of 21 different medical problems. Philly doesn't have nearly enough handicapped street parking for the population. I will continue to appeal no matter how many times it takes and eventually I will also seek reimbursement for expenses (ie: parking fees, gas, and distress). Have contacted Mayor Nutter, Gov. Wolf, and ADA. Will be contacting news media next so others will be aware of unfair treatment of out of state handicapped visitors to Philly are treated.
I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you will be able to prevail. Sincerely, ***** *****