LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My son was in an auto accident another teenager. Other teen

Customer Question

My son was in an auto accident another teenager. Other teen and his mother fully accepted responsibility. Police came but I wasn't there yet. I got 2 estimates both over 3k. Both repair places said the damage could be much more significant once they begin. The other mother does not want insurance involved for other auto issues that have been claimed. She wants to write us a check for the entire estimate. She says she will cover the entire amount if the estimate is incorrect. FYI- it was very low speed accident, there were no bodily injuries and I do not expect any to arise. I do however, want to make sure she will still pay the total repair amount.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If she is willing to pay out of pocket for ALL repairs to your sons car, there is nothing wrong with that, as long as she complies. The last thing you want to happen is that you proceed and get the vehicle fixed and then the amount is much greater then initially thought and she refuses to pay. If that happened, you would then have to sue her and in order to protect yourself, you want to reduce the agreement, to writing, to evidence and show the terms and conditions, if you agree to not go through insurance. If you think you can trust her, then you can write and sign an agreement. If you have doubts, then tell her you want to go through the insurance, as you are under no legal obligation to simply trust her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of information would be appropriate to include?
That they accept full responsibility for the accident and acknowledge they were at fault. That they asked that you not go through the insurance company for other reasons and they agree to pay 100% of ALL costs to fix and repair the vehicle, regardless of cost. That you did provide them with an estimate of $3000 BUT they acknowledge and understand that once work is started, additional damage or problems may be found, which could increase the cost and that they are willing to pay
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!