CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My daughter "Anne's" boyfriend "Rick" has an

Customer Question

My daughter "Anne's" boyfriend "Rick" has an uncle "Joe" who is self-employed in a landscaping business. Uncle Joe came to Rick with a US Treasury check (about $2000) that he said had been endorsed by a customer and given to him as payment for work he'd done. He asked Rick to deposit the check in his (Rick's) account and give him the cash when the check cleared. Rick did this, and the check appeared to clear, but when my daughter tried to transfer some of the money to her account (with Rick's permission), the bank closed the account and Rick's debit card. My daughter is scared to death that she and Rick are now mixed up in some check fraud scheme with Uncle Joe. What are her options?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
"Rick" needs to speak with the bank manager for his bank and find out why his account was closed.(It probably isn't very helpful at this juncture, but cashing or depositing checks for someone else, even if they are endorsed to you, is not a very good practice).Rick may need to help law enforcement with a prosecution of "Uncle Joe" depending on the scope of this matter - but without first knowing what is going on with his bank account, it is going to be too early to know what exactly he is dealing with.