Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

How can a neighbor gain relief from a rural next door neighbor

Customer Question

How can a neighbor gain relief from a rural next door neighbor who calls in false yet carefully stated accusations many times 'n places a dead sheep of theirs close by my fence and now is allowing a VERY substantial amount of tansy to grow to maturity preparing to seed all over the place. Tansy seed can remain for 7 yrs. A vet shared the liver destroying facts on mammals: horses eating 20% of their weight =die; sheep 100% drop over. goats, cows, etc. on & on.
The folks next door are renters who have rented there 3/4 yrs?
We purchased this 3/30/14.
Other animal owners do not want their animals lives degraded or ended in an egregious (sp) manner.
With the outrageous amt of tansy growing in that little pasture that rather proves the danger of the tansy on the property they rent! Isn't it neglect/endangerment to allow the non native plant to sow? It is classified as a noxious weed illegal in city limits. They claim to adore their animals but neither vaccinate nor worm them. Their three dogs had no rabies shots.
The dogs have been seen chasing their stock. Sheep have heart attacks easily I am told.
They refused an autopsy.
Pulling the dead sheep close to my fence line burying it above ground would have drawn
wild animals to spread bacteria, viruses into and around the area. Endangering themselves and us, too.
They began with telling me to take our dogs in the house when they bark. Next the woman suggested to deputies that I kidnapped her cat. I don't want cats. Animals need vaccinated, wormed. There were three horses, three dogs 'n two cats...we did NOT need others animals. Nor feral cats lured here either! I do not desire their dogs over here.
It's such an awful mess. 18 months of increasing level of malice?
I believe the basic problem for them is the dogs barking both in play (2xday) and barking at skunks, raccoons, coyotes and their dogs 'n cat coming over onto our property.
Last yr when it got hot here in the Valley, I felt sorry for them because she, too, has fibro myalgia, I lent them a near new 14,000btu air conditioner. It'd be nice that they'd return it. But, I chocked that up to experience 'n bit my tongue...then the dead sheep event occurred.
Can I file an harassment ?
What will that achieve ?
How long does that take ?
How much does that cost ?
None of the animals or property legally belongs to me. I am 65 'n my S.O. is 71. He owns a property mgmt. bus in Salem, OR. I stay here attempting farm labor. The deputies ckd the dogs for inappropriate barking finding them appropriate. ie: they do NOT bark needlessly nor too long. But, they do bark!
We are within the law however this is not palatable to our neighbors.
When we moved in the landowner called me questioning whether I was going to have a boarding stable here (as previous owner had sign at driveway entrance).
If the land owner calls questioning our goals can't he question the appropriateness of
his renters with moral care taking of the land?
I apologize...there's a lot here. I tried to put it all w/o going back to Adam 'n Eve.
Gratefully,
Janet.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details. What you're describing is a crime; have you reported this to law-enforcement? If so what was the response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm stunned the deputies did not share that it's a crime. The deputies made them remove the dead sheep to another location. I did not ask where.
What do YOU see as options to inspire these folks to mellow out. I sure would like a break from the vitreal. (sp).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somewhere along the line I guess I understood that it is illegal...= a crime, huh? Am I slow or what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know which attorney to hire to help me. I do NOT know any attorneys. I am not legal savvy.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your specific question Would it help to chat on phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm more a visual. Tks, though. My ? is, is your advice relevant to Oregon law & if you share it was a crime then how do I find
a good attorney like yourself when I know no attorneys to choose from? I need an attorney here in this area, right?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you looking for resources where you can find an attorney in Oregon? If so can you tell me which county you're in?