How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26002
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to get some information son but am not sure

Customer Question

I'm trying to get some information for my son but am not sure of where to go. He needs an attorney because his girlfriend (who is the mother of his son) has been stealing money from her mother and my son to cover gambling debts. It looks to be in excess of $50K. He doesn't know where he stands as far a his son is concerned (his name is ***** ***** birth certificate even though they are not married) because he is afraid that she will take their son and run to avoid prosecution. The problem he has is that because she has been taking his money he can't afford to pay an attorney. It looks like legal aid organizations are for indigent or low income. He could probably pay going forward but would need to be able to do payments for awhile. Is it possible to find an attorney who will work under these circumstances? How do I find them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this question. What does your son want a lawyer for? If what he wants to do is to get criminal charges pressed, he doesn't need an attorney. The state will go after her and represent his interests for free. He would just have to report the offense to the police and he could also flag his fears that she will abscond with his son. If he has something else in mind, please respond below with further details and I'll be happy to expand my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll have to get more information from him. but I have a question. I want to take my grandson so she won't have access to him. Can I do that? (With my son's permission of course) or is that illegal.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Is there a formal custody order in place? If there is, in Washington State that could be custodial interference, which would be unlawful. If there is no formal order as to custody, then your son should be able to take his son, as he's on the birth certificate. He can leave the son with you, but she can go to court and get an order and make formal custody arrangements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. There is no formal custody order. I'm thinking that if she ends up in prison her chances of getting custody would be pretty slim. I'll wait to see if my son has any more information. I not I rate you and leave a tip. Thanks

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
She may not end up in prison. Prison is a possibility, but more likely someone without a prior criminal history facing a non-violent criminal offense could get probation plus restitution to the complainants. If what he wants is a family lawyer to go to court and get custody, unfortunately lawyers don't take these types of cases on contingency. They do, however, take credit cards, so that may be a possibility for him to get representation. I can also link you to the various pro bono and low cost agencies where he can get some hands-on assistance in your state. Here are some lnks to Washington's pro-bono resources. People in the pro bono loop may know of others who can assist him with his issue. He may have to make a lot of phone calls but even if he can't find direct representation, he should find agencies which will give you hands-on help so that you will know what you should do in court. Law school clinics are also great resources for people with legal issues who cannot afford the cost of an attorney. Law students research, write and handle actual cases and issues under the supervision of a practicing professor/lawyer. Some of these law school clinics have wonderful reputations, and if a court appearance is called for, the professor goes to court.Law students are trained legal researchers. They are energetic, idealistic and enjoy putting their efforts into a cause they can believe in. Here's a list of Washington law school clinics.Good luck!

Related Legal Questions