Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My Trustcare Clinic is erroneously trying to make me pay for

Customer Question

My Trustcare Clinic is erroneously trying to make me pay for a bill of $835.00 from OCTOBER 2013 where they never filed Medicare until about six months ago. Furthermore they actually REFUSED ME TREATMENT ONE DAY STATING MY OUTSTANDING BALANCE WAS TOO HIGH TO SEE ME! AND THEY SAID THIS IN FRONT OF A WAITING ROOM WITH ABOUT 12 PEOPLE IN IT!!! Yesterday, I took my sister, my representative payee to their insurance offices, and she ACTUALLY AGREED TO PAY $400 to them!!! I HAVE BEEN SLANDERED, HARASSED, REFUSED TREATMENT, LIED ABOUT AND NOW AM A VICTIM OF ATTEMPTED EXTORTION! THE REASON MEDICARE NEVER PAID THEM IS THAT THEY DIDN'T FILE THE CLAIM UNTIL OVER A YEAR LATER! What legal rights do I have?
Virginia V. Mitchell
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You could have the right to sue them for negligence in their billing process. Since they deal with medicare on a regular basis they are aware of the policy for turning in billing for payment. Them neglecting to turn in the bill in a timely manner would arguably be negligence causing you harm and basis to sue them in small claims court for their failure to submit the bill in a timely manner.
There is no law setting the statute of limitations for them to send you a bill other than the MS Statute of limitations of 3 years for a written contract. So you would have to sue them regarding negligence in their billing practices, which you can do in small claims court.