Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My ex boyfriend had me take out a credit card to pay

Customer Question

My ex boyfriend had me take out a credit card to pay for his business. Then he had me buy a $62,000.00 pickup for his business. He moved in with me, and persuaded me to have my home remodeled, by him. I took out a 40,000 loan to do the work. He had me open an account with his name on it to deposit the money in for the remodel. He started the work, began abusing me verbally, and then he beat me and moved out. He kept a a lot of the money, and the job did not get finished. Then he took my insurance money for a rood I had put on as a result of the tornado. He is making payments, but he is very abusive. He calls me names and torments me daily. He tells me if I tell that he beat me he will stop paying the credit card and the truck payments. Is there anything I can do? I can't live like this any longer.
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,and welcome to JustAnswer, I am so sorry to hear of how your boyfriend has treated you and you certainly should not stand for that kind of abuse from anyone. Q. In whose name is ***** ***** registered, your name, or his name ? I look forward to your reply, ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name, but he insisted he have his name on it too, so he is a cosigner.
There are several things that you can and should don protect yourself from his abuse as well as protect your credit rating It would probably be much faster if we discussed the solutions by telephone. There would be an additional charge, but it would be well worth it and you would have some peace of mind. Please let me know, ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would love to talk, but right now I just can't talk. Can we talk tomorrow?
Yes,we can talk tomorrow, but it would have to be late in the day, about or 6 PM, Eastern daylight savings time. I am located just outside of Philadelphia. Are you on Central time or mountain time? ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It is 11:22 here now. I have to be up at 4:30 to see patients by 6. Tomorrow would be perfect!
That will be fine. Just let me know when you are online tomorrow, ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Okay, I'll wait to hear from you ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What was the advice you were going to give me over the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke to you Sunday night via computer. You suggested we talk on phone. I couldn't talk then, so I asked that we speak Monday night at 6:00. You were not available. I was hoping that you had not forgotten the advice you were going to give me, and could tell me what to do via computer, since we have a hard time connecting. I am re posting my question below so as to refresh your memory: My ex boyfriend had me take out a credit card to pay for his business. Then he had me buy a $62,000.00 pickup for his business. He moved in with me, and persuaded me to have my home remodeled, by him. I took out a 40,000 loan to do the work. He had me open an account with his name on it to deposit the money in for the remodel. He started the work, began abusing me verbally, and then he beat me and moved out. He kept a a lot of the money, and the job did not get finished. Then he took my insurance money for a rood I had put on as a result of the tornado. He is making payments, but he is very abusive. He calls me names and torments me daily. He tells me if I tell that he beat me he will stop paying the credit card and the truck payments. Is there anything I can do? I can't live like this any longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When can I expect a response? I spoke to the police tonight, and they told me that the evidence I provided could get him arrested for abuse. i am afraid to continue with that until I know what to do financially. He is making payments on what he owes. He said if I do anything he will stop. What to do?