Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am an international student in New York. My graduate exam

Customer Question

I am an international student in New York. My graduate exam received an F on originality check because of several missing sources that I did't include in the reference list. However, I think it is not fair for me to be considered as "Academic Dishonesty" because I wasn't malicious. So I explained to the chair of my department and begged for a chance to revise and to get a Pass on the exam, since I only had one month to finish the exam while taking a summer session class and looking for summer internships. And, my paper, is 9,000+ words long. Then the chair filed a "negligence" claim to the school's integrity office and told me that there will be a hearing where I can explain myself to the panel and the result of the hearing will determine my future. Therefore, I need some advice on how to convince the panel that I am innocent.
About the MISSING SOURCES:
I have two parts in the paper that are related to the missing sources. In the first part, I used the subtitles of an online article and paraphrased some of its sentences as my own statement. However, I didn't mean to copy other's work. I didn't cite it because I thought that the article is not an academic article and I did have my own words in it.
In the second parts, we were required to write job descriptions for several positions. My job descriptions were highly similar to various online job sites. Here is the most complicated thing for me to explain: like I said before, I was looking for summer internship when I was dealing with the exam, so I pretty much knew the basic requirements and qualifications of different level of positions, all of which are of very similar writing style, similar content and even exact words; Secondly, we were required to collect job descriptions in a previous class in the spring semester, at that time we were not required to cite the sources and it was more of a task rather than an assignment. I think that is the second reason that I have written so many sentences that are similar to the postings of online job sites.
However, among those similar job descriptions I wrote, there were like six sentences that I took from a job site. I didn't cite this source because I thought the job site posting is kind of public domain knowledge and is not academic article. But, clearly, what I thought was wrong.
QUESTIONS:
1. Should I admit negligence to the panel as the chair claimed or should I say that I am totally innocent in the hearing?
2. How should I explain the missing sources? Should I admit that I lack the knowledge of APA style of citations or just say that I was not careful enough while checking the reference list and in-text citations?
3. For the first part in the above paragraph, should I say I just forgot to include the source in the reference list or should I say that I didn't know that the online sources(which are not academic articles) must be cited?
4. For the second part (job descriptions), what should I say? I am really confused about this part because of the complicated situations here.
5. Should I mention that most of my classmates have made similar mistakes and they have the chance to revise? Should I say it is not fair for me not having the chance to revise just because I made more mistakes in number?
6. Should I mention that I didn't know exactly about how to use the TurnItIn system and it was my first time using it?
7. Should I show the willingness to revise the exam paper and to learn more about the proper citation?
8. I just want to know everything that you suggest I include in the hearing to convince the panel and prove my innocence. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the TurnItIn system, the similarity percentage of my exam paper was 16%, which I believe is not a high number. Should I mention this percentage in the hearing?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer,When are you scheduled to appear in front of the panel, i.e., how much time are they giving you to prepare for this meeting with the panel ? There are pieces of information which I will need and it might be a better idea if we discussed your problem and the available Solutions by telephone. Please let me know if you would be interested in such a telephone conversation, By the way, where are you located ?I LOOK FORWARD TO *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrea,I think I still have a week to prepare for the hearing. I am currently living in the Greater New York area.
Can you provide me with any detailed suggestion or idea before we move to a phone conversation? Do you have any previous experience on this issue?Thank you so much for attention.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please contact me by phone when you are available.
What additional information do you need to come up with the best solution to my case? I am really worrying about the hearing because I have a GPA of 3.65 and already got a full-time job offer. If the school decide that I need to retake the class then it will raise serious financial problems and immigration issues to me. I really cannot afford to lose the case.