Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I went into a medical office and the reception is ask me what

Customer Question

I went into a medical office and the reception is ask me what was my medical problems. There was no privacy because the desk was also the waiting room. I told him what my problem is. He told me to watch my mouth be cause there was a female staff member eve's dropping g.I told the male clerk if he did not want an answer in front of the room he should have asked me in private.I remind ed him of hipa.the he had security throw me out sarcastic ly
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I am sorry to hear of this situation.
So you had an appointment for a legitimate medical concern?
Or was this a medical clinic run by the state?
What information can I provide you in this regard?
What is it you want to do about this?
What is your question?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did they violation of hipa.the law by dissing my medical information in public an d then throw in me out with out medical attention. Yes I had a medical problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to seek medical attention 2 days later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did they violate my right and can I sue
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThere may be a HIPAA violation if your medical information was disseminated by the person at the desk. If they asked you about your medical concern, it would be up to you to discuss it in a voice that would not allow others to hear. Or you could ask to discuss it more privately. However, even with a HIPAA violation, the best you can do is make a complaint. There is no basis for a lawsuit.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HERE IS THE LINK to file a complaintAdditionally, if it was not a medical emergency of life or death proportions, then they do not have to care for you and you can be turned away