LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Our HOA only allows 3 dogs. We have 3 and want to adopt and

Customer Question

Our HOA only allows 3 dogs. We have 3 and want to adopt and save a 4th senior dog. The county law says we need a kennel license, which we'll obtain. My question: who overrides? The county or the HOA?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
I certainly understand the situation and your concern, as an animal lover myself. I am sorry to say, by the rules of the HOA are going to control. The reason why I say this is because the rules and regulations which limit pet ownership to 3 dogs, are what is going to control, since you, as a homeowner, agreed to them when moving into the home. The license simply allows a person to have more then 3 dogs and be in compliance with what the county requires but it does not mean that it would trump the restrictions, rules and regulations set up by the HOA, which can limited the amount of dogs you can have.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!