Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Can aclinic turn a person over to a collection agency if they

Customer Question

can aclinic turn a person over to a collection agency if they are making monthly payments of $35.00.the balance is $199.00.i have not missed a payment that has been accepted by creditor.how is it legal to turn a person over to a collection agency when they are repaying this debt in good faith? thank you spfld ill.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
Unfortunately, if your account is in arrears and you have no written repayment or settlement agreement then there is no legal prohibition on the creditor pursuing collection by suing or hiring a collection agency.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?