CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My husband who died a year ago recorded telephone calls in

Customer Question

My husband who died a year ago recorded telephone calls in his apartment in 1999 when he was going through nasty divorce with his first wife. My husband always was planning to deliver some of the information recorded to people who were discussed in those conversation. Because he died suddenly I feel I should do it as his last wish. Is it legal to share those recording and if not what are the legal consequences. Thank you JG
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
New York is a "single party consent " state, meaning only one party to a conversation needs to give consent to the recording.
What this means is that legally these recordings can be shared. Whether or not you want to do this is another question. While an action may be legal it may still lead to a frivolous legal Anton against you that you will be forced to defend the matter.
I cannot advise you one way or the other concerning whether or not to publish these recordings, but please consider not only the legal implications but the time and effort that this will entail if the other parties respond.
For more information on new Yorks wiretap laws, see:http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/new-york-recording-law