Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I work dealership that has been using my name on thousands

Customer Question

I work for a dealership that has been using my name on thousands of mailers because of how long I've been there. My permission was never given and I never signed anything . Is this legal ?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. The answer to your question depends on your position with the company and also if your employment agreement says anything about this. For instance, if you are in management and your job is related in some way to PR and/or advertising, it would likely be within your job description to participate in advertising or promotions. But if you are not, then unless your employment agreement obligates you to do so, you don't have to participate in advertising. Of course, if you don't participate, you run the risk of being seen as someone who is not a "team player" which would likely be detrimental to your career. So, it's a tough call either way.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
So, unless your employment agreement requires this of you, then you can object to the use of your name.......but the fallout could be bad if your employer or co-workers take offense to this. Perhaps you can work out an agreement to be compensated for the use of your name and/or image.