Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I am being sued by my floor contractor for $7500 above the

Customer Question

I am being sued by my floor contractor for $7500 above the amount that we verbally agreed on. We discussed my 10,000 budget for 45 minutes and when changes were made we ask him if it affects the price and in the presence of three witnesses he said NO. I never signed a contract because I hadn't moved into the house and had no access to computer, which he knew, 3 days after job was complete he present us with another sheet a paper with a 7500 increase. Now 6 months later he is suing me for unpaid balance. What are my options to protect myself, I can't find an attorney to defend me. Most don't deal with these kinds of cases. How do I find out if the contractor is licensed in the state of GA and if I lose in court does the lien affect my credit?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. To ensure that I do not miss anything, I will go point by point with your concerns. First, to retain counsel you may want to consider browsing the listings at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com. There you can search by fees, location, experience, and expertise. This would fall under consumer protection and contact law. Second, as far protection, you may want to obtain quotes from other reputable contractors who can quote prices as that may tell you what is a 'reasonable' value for the work so that it can be presented to the courts as the real proper charge for the services. Third, you can go to this site below and search to see if he is licensed--and if he isn't you can use that as a basis for claiming 'false pretenses' and 'fraud' as basis for the contract:http://www.contractors-license.org/ga/ga.htm Sincerely, ***** *****