CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I buy & sell $1,000 to $10,000 desert lots. Sometimes the

Customer Question

I buy & sell $1,000 to $10,000 desert lots. Sometimes the owners have died and left it so that probate seems to be required. The family does not want to go through probate because of the time and expense.
Can title be transferred to them without Probate? Can I as the buyer do the paper work required for probate? If so where do I get the forms and instructions.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Be very careful in this area. While you are probably providing a valuable service to people with small value land holdings, you are close to practicing law by providing this type of legal service for your clients.Depending on the size of the total estate at issue (not just the piece of land), the estate may be able to pass through a summary probate proceeding called a "small estate affidavit" you can find some information on this proceeding on the Utah Courts website here: https://www.utcourts.gov/selfhelp/.You can help your clients by giving them information about where they can find this information, and perhaps advising them that there is a way they can rather quickly and easily transfer the property so that they can then sell it, but again, I would recommend exercising extreme caution in this area as you do not want to find yourself accused of "practicing law without a license."