Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

How do I get medical information on a dog I purchased from

Customer Question

How do I get medical information on a dog I purchased from a listing on Craig's list. Paid cash and I was told they would get me medical information to me. I have now have found out she has a heart murmur that will need approx. $500.00 just to diagnose. Mary Swartz
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
The bot***** *****ne up front is this: you can sue them for breach of contract, and ask the court to order them to turn the records over instead of some monetary settlement. The issue with pursuing a specific performance course is that you have to spend the money to litigate the issue, and if you win, you will get the medical records. At that point, you may decide that the seller misrepresented the condition of the dog, and you would like a refund of the purchase price. Of course, you could go directly to the refund through a breach of contract suit, in that they agreed to turn over the medical records, and they did not. As such, they've breached the contract and owe you damages, which in this case, is the price you paid for the dog. What you cannot do, however, is sue and get them to cover all of the dog's medical costs (unless you agreed otherwise in the contract of sale). At the end of the day, you essentially have to decide whether you want to keep the dog with its medical issues or not. If you don't, you can sue for breach of contract and get your money back.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.