Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

My vet died 3 years ago, his wife asked me to take care of

Customer Question

My vet died 3 years ago, his wife asked me to take care of him as he was dying. She leaves him with me for months at a time, with no phone calls to ask about him. When he goes back to there home he is in a cage in the garage with a pea pad. The wife is from Lebbanon and has no love for animals.
I have had him 90% of time in past 3 years....they are moving to Washington DC and I have had him for over 2 and half months....
I love him, I feed him, I have him bathed ( bison 4.5 years old) I take care of him, we walk 5 miles at least 5 days a week...grooming is a fortune ( need to be cut)
I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE HIM BACK...DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS?
THANK YOU
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
As long as she intends to return for the dog, he is still her property. As such, there isn't a period of time in which the ownership of the dog transfers to you. In order for the dog to become yours, you would have to prove that she abandoned him and never intended to take him back. So far, everything you've said indicates that they have not legally abandoned the dog. However, if you are being asked to take care of the dog, you can tell her that you expect to be reimbursed from this point forward for all of your costs associated with raising the dog. At some point, she will probably just let you have the dog instead of reimbursing you for all of those expenses. As it stands right now, she can maintain owernship of the dog witout any of the expense or hassle, and can just return whenever she wants and pick him up. If you start essentially building in a cost, she may just give up the dog instead of paying.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.