Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My brother is an inmate at pontiac correctional center

Customer Question

Hello my brother is an inmate at pontiac correctional center he's been a prisioner for 23 years now
2 weeks ago he was taken to segregation and also they change his uniform color we are calling to ask what's going on and they're answer is that he's under investigation
My brother said he doesn't know why are they doing that ,he was working in the kitchen and always had a good behavior
Today we found out that he was transfered to menards correctional center in illinois
I like to know if there's anything we can do help him and find out what's happening
Please I really need legal advise on what to do to help him out
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Unfortunately, the prison is not accountable to family members. They don't have to answer your questions. In my experience when family and friends start inquiring of prison staff about the treatment of their incarcerated loved ones they will either get a runaround or hit a stone wall, or both.
The answer is to get your brother's lawyer involved, or if he doesn't have one and you don't want to retain one on his behalf, contact the American Civil Liberties Union at ACLU.org and see if they will make inquiries for you or direct you to a local lawyer who will. Not only can a lawyer visit your brother when others cannot, he can also talk to people in prison administration who will not talk to you, and, if necessary, he can get your brother before a judge to get some changes made if his rights are being violated.