LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Young driver (22) borrowed roommates car without his permission).

Customer Question

young driver (22) borrowed roommates car without his permission). headed home and struck my car and neighbor's car parked in front of our homes. he was charged with dui and hit and run. his roommate told his insurance(geico) he had not given permission to drive car. geico has refused to have our cars repaired. my car is older but in great shape, but I only carry required liability therefore my insurance (liberty mutual) does not cover damages. do I have any options to get my car repaired by either the driver or his roommate?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. If the car was taken without his permission, why did not not call the police when it went missing or upon knowing of it, advise the police of the same and they could have charged him with the theft of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for whatever reason the owner of the car decided to tell geico he did not give permission the day after when he call in the claim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure how this works did you receive my response?
Yes, thank you. At this point, you would likely need to sue and go after the actual driver and also see exactly what happened with the owner and if you could sue and include him as well, as the owner of the car. It would need to be looked into, as to why and if, Geico could deny the claim and paying for the damage to your car, based upon what he told them. After all, he could just be lying if he knew his friend was impaired and he let him take the car, to avoid liability. Another thing to keep in mind, is that you are a victim him. If he was charged, you can contact the prosecutor assigned to the case and tell them the damages which you incurred. Then, if he takes a plea or is found guilty at trial, they can get restitution for you, as part of the sentence which is imposed, which would force him to pay you back for the damage. This way, you do not need to bring a civil suit and the State can make you whole.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I contact my cities' commonwealth attorney. I feel if I do the driver might be charged with auto theft?
Yes, you should contact the prosecutors office and ask to speak with the attorney handling the case. When you do, advise them that you are a victim and it was your car which was damaged and you want them to obtain restitution on your behalf. You should be prepared at some time, to also give them the cost of the repair
Did this help clarify things?