Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was a victim of first degree rape with deadly weapon. Although,

Customer Question

I was a victim of first degree rape with deadly weapon. Although, I did win this case and he received 24 years, spokane county did not file, in fact 6 yrs later a seattle attorney general filed and took the case over. I was a prostitute at the time, which is why they never filed. They did not take it seriously and this was proven in court by testimony from police who admitted to wrong doing. Is this illegal to treat me like this, minimizing whatvi went through. I hid indoors for that 6yrs not knowing anything about what was going on.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
I am very sorry to hear about what happened to you and glad that ultimately you were able to get the rapist brought to justice and punished for his crime.
That said, was it illegal for the police not to take your case seriously initially and for the prosecutor not to file charges? Unfortunately, no. The police and prosecutor have discretion they can exercise and given your history at the time, they may not have felt that they could prove the charges against you beyond a reasonable doubt.
They may also have been negligent for not taking the matter seriously, if they dismissed your rape report out of hand without looking at your facts. But that would involve civil and not criminal liability.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome.