CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

July 16, 2015 - The apartment manager is threatening to evict

Customer Question

July 16, 2015 - The apartment manager is threatening to evict me, although my lease is not up yet. I was told that I have to move by midnight August 31, 2015, the date my lease ends. My daughter just died (July 14), and I do not have the resources to move. I need help, please! I need help! What can I do? My mind is so unsettled because of my daughter's death. I do not have the resources (money) for the funeral or to move. Please help me. The manager is cruel! Thank you! (La Marque, Texas, V. Randall,***@******.***)
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, I am very sorry to learn of the death of your daughter, please accept my condolences.Regarding your housing situation. You are not being "evicted" (please keep in mind this distinction as it is an important one as you are looking for new housing), your landlord has given you notice that they are not renewing your lease - this is very different from being evicted (while I understand the distinction does not make a lot of difference as you still are being forced to find a new place to live, it makes a significant difference between having a "clean" rental history (which you have), and having a rental history with an "eviction" on it (which you do not)).For housing help, contact your county (or city) housing authority, they can often help you find suitable housing. Notify them of the move out date given by your landlord and see if they can assist you in finding a new unit. Most can.If you cannot receive help, start looking for housing diligently (and keep track of your efforts). The reason you want to track your efforts is that if you get closer to the Aug. 31 date and you still have not gotten any closer to finding a place to move into, you can try negotiating with your landlord for an extension, showing him your diligent efforts to relocate can be a motivating factor in him allowing you to stay a short additional time as you continue to look for new housing.I do wish you the very best (and I do believe that the County (or City) housing authority will be able to assist you (you fall into the socioeconomic category that they are set up to assist). But call them promptly as they often have wait lists, your impending move out date will help move you up on those lists, and you should be able to get into a unit well in advance of your move out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
July 17, 2015 - Thank you! The manager is not compassionate. It would make her no difference if I could not find a place to live that quickly. Right now, I am focusing more on funeral arrangements for my daughter. Again, thank you very much! Love, Virginia Randall (*****@******.***)
You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.Thank you again, and again I truly do wish you the best.Bill