Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I have licensed an image of a celebrity from the copyright holder and want to exploit comm

Customer Question

I have licensed an image of a celebrity from the copyright holder and want to exploit commercially across Europe. it was taken in the 1960s, does the date of the photograph predate US right of publicity?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
Under the 1909 Act copyright duration was measured from the date of publication and not the date of creation. The US copyright term for works published between January 1, 1924, and December 31, 1977, is 95 years from the date of publication. This is the general rule with some exceptions as a copyright could have entered the public domain if not renewed. The rules for making that analysis is highly complex but if you provide me positive feedback on this answer, I will point you to a website that can help you with that at no additional charge.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer.