Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I am trying to help my son who lives in Conway Arkansas. He

Customer Question

I am trying to help my son who lives in Conway Arkansas. He purchased a home in Conway and the Real Estate Agent referred him to his son who was a Contractor to do remodeling of the home. The Contractor provided a written contract as to what would be done and the cost. The Contractor literally went into the home and like a "wrecking ball" destroyed everything in the house - making it unlivable . . . this was last year. and the Contractor has received serial payments as requested and has failed to return to complete the work. I believe my son could approach the District Attorney as one thing is that my son provides care to my brother who is disabled and this is creating an extreme hardship in the care of my brother with this Contractor failing to do his job. Could you give me some thoughts about this. Thank you, Linda
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, Linda. I'm sorry to hear that your son is having such problems with a contractor. Unfortunately, there is no good answer or quick fix to the situation you describe. First, the District Attorney is the wrong approach. This is not a criminal matter. It is civil, and the contractor may be sued in county court for breach of his contract and damages that have been incurred. In addition, many contractors are required to be bonded, and that is like insurance that may pay for damages, or to have another contractor complete the work. The county building permits department would know if there is such a bond and a complaint should definitely be filed with them about that contractor. That might prompt him to get back on the job and finish it. Certainly, making as much "noise" as possible (an attorney would come in handy too) is the way to go at this point.