Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is it legal employer to log into your email jury duty

Customer Question

Is it legal for your employer to log into your email jury duty account to see whether or not you've been dismissed and to make copies of your jury duty record even if you are not being paid for jury duty you are using your personal hours and was given a copy of your jury duty summons
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The employer is entitled to ask for proof of your jury duty and your jury service each time you take leave for jury duty. As far as logging into the account, the jury duty system is an open system to the public and the ones I have seen have no password, you need the Jury number or drivers license number and name only, so that would not be illegal for them to check.
The employer has a right to know if the employee is being truthful with the employer regarding their jury duty (as you would be surprised how many employees abuse the jury duty notice and take time off when they are excused from jury duty).