Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

My husband is a driver ex . he just got a ticket for

Customer Question

My husband is a driver for fed ex . he just got a ticket for driving 3 houses down and not wearing his seat belt. is he exempt from this being a delivery driver under the seat belt law 27315 cvc under 27315 (M) cvc
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, the 3 exceptions to the CA seat belt law do not include package delivery services such as FedEx. The law states specifically who is exempt and that is newspaper delivery personnel (section m), rural route carriers for the USPS (section n), and trash collectors (section o). The court would not have the statutory authority to make an exception beyond what is specifically in the statute, so no statutory basis for the exemption since section (m) qualifies what kind of delivery person it exempts. This is certainly something that the package delivery companies could try to get the legislature to change if they wanted to, but that would take them lobbying the state legislature. Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 14th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.