Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My son will be a first year college student at a small private

Customer Question

My son will be a first year college student at a small private college this fall. He has been assigned to a room with a handicapped student who will require assistance from an adult. My son is not comfortable with this situation and we have had meetings at the college two days in a row to ask that he be moved to a different room. They do not appear to be willing to change his room assignment without him going through a two week trial period. The first two weeks of college are so important for a student when forming bonds and getting adjusted. After two weeks, if my son were to wish to move, which is highly likely, many in the students in his new area would be already adjusted and have their friends. Can the college force him to live in this situation, with unfamiliar adults, more then likely female, in and out of the room? Do we have any rights in this situation?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. Unfortunately, there are no laws that would benefit your son as to his "rights" to change a dorm assignment. It is always up to the school's policy. If you want, tell me the school and I will review that policy for you. But other than following policy, he has not legal recourse.