Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If you marry in Texas and someone has debit tax liens judgments

Customer Question

If you marry in Texas and someone has debit tax liens judgments ect... Can and of it ever be attached to the new spouse?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
The answer is no, along with a "but..."
No, the new spouse is generally NOT liable for judgments the other spouse had prior to marriage.
HOWEVER, the plaintiff creditor may attempt to enforce judgment by levying a bank account or liening titled property. IF this happens, then if both spouses' names are ***** ***** account/property, then this assets may be "attached" to judgment satisfaction.
So the other spouse is not liable; however, the debtor-spouse's name on shared assets may be enough to ATTACH that asset. Due to this, some spouses do not both names on some/all assets.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.