Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Can.i file a charge of both theft by deception and theft by

Customer Question

Can.i file a charge of both theft by deception and theft by conversion against someone for illegally routing and using funds from an unauthorized bank account? If so, how?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. First, I need to correct a misconception. Citizens do not "file charges", that can only be done by the police or the District Attorney. What a citizen or a victim does is file a report and request that charges be filed. The police should then investigate and they can file the initial charges but, ultimately, the DA determines whether a case is pursued through the courts. With that being said, you can file the police report and ask that the charges be filed for both of those charges. The police and DA will look at the specific facts and determine whether the facts support those specific crimes or if some other criminal charge is more suitable. In addition, since it involved a bank account and federal benefits then there is a chance the FBI may pursue the matter as well although they normally do not get involved unless the amounts are fairly large. If it is necessary to involve the FBI usually the local DA will make the referral to them. Please ask any follow up questions, if you have any, in this thread.