Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Selling my estate sale property people did not research value

Customer Question

Selling my estate sale property people did not research value things and sold them and last day 50 percent off try to sell things for 75 percent with out asking me or telling me prices they were selling things. Now they hired a lawyer and they have not given me any money and won't till I sign a paper to say I will not sue them. What should I do. I found papers and tags of real prices of things in my house when I wouldn't let them back in .
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
I am having some difficulty understanding what you are saying; but it sounds like you are saying that you hired a company to conduct an estate sale for you and they did not live up to the terms of the contract.
Under Texas law, you can send them a demand letter asking them to pay you what you thing they owe you under the contract and if they fail to do so in thirty days, you can sue them and your lawyer can recover his legal fees from the other side. See law at link below. So, this will give you some leverage to negotiate!
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/CP/2/C/38/38.001
If you want this to end quickly, the best thing to do here is to pay a local business litigation lawyer $150 to send out a demand letter under the law at the link above. While you can send a letter yourself, since they have already hired a lawyer, they will not take you seriously.
So, get all you papers together, read the contract, and make a list of items and figure out what they really owe under the terms of the contract. Then make an appointment with a lawyer of your own:
https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Lawyer_Referral_Service_LRIS_
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help , I will look tomorrow for one. I agree it's best that they have to pay all legal fee if they don't live up to their contract. I feel better knowing what to do thanks again , Gail Vetrone
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome...