LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I mailed certified letter to collection agency to validate

Customer Question

I mailed certified letter to collection agency to validate debt. Included in letter proof they own the debt, agreement with my signature from creditor, copy of canceled check, history from original credit of activity. The collection agency sent me copies of the statements, not the original credotot.
By collection agency sending copies not the original creditor does this validate debt?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
It is the collection company that send the proof of the debt, not your original creditor. The original creditor is not legally obligated to provide you anything of the collection agency is handling the claim.
Under the law, the copies of the accoi8nt history, your signature on a document and proof of their ownership of the debt is all they need provide. Those documents do validate the debt under the federal law concerning collection matters.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug