How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 113505
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served initial divorce papers, and we have been having

Customer Question

I was served initial divorce papers, and we have been having difficulties for awhile. My concern is she wants me to immediately move out of the house. I have been advised not to leave and just establish a living quarter in my basement or seperate part of the house. Can she get an injunction against me to leave?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Connecticut if that helps, and am a police officer
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You should not leave the house unless you get a court order telling you to leave. She can file for temporary possession of the marital home, but now she filed, you can file to ask for temporary possession of the marital home as well. Hopefully, she will not abuse the legal process like many spouses do and try to claim some abuse to get an order of protection to force you to move out.
You need to stay, you need to file an answer to the divorce as soon as you can and you need to consider filing a motion for temporary possession of the marital home to try to stop her from getting a court order to move you out of the house.
You should also consider using an attorney if possible to represent you in the divorce.