dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
29685164

My dad is 90 years old. We just helped him move from his home in Wilmington, NC to a

Customer Question

Hi. My dad is 90 years old. We just helped him move from his home in Wilmington, NC to a retirement community in Chattanooga, Tn. Somehow along the way he has lost his personal papers including his birth certificate. He has no current drivers license or passport. We need proof of identity to get him a Tennessee id card. Which affidavit form would we use to get notarized and hopefully enable him to get a current id from TN. And would that work?
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
If he has his Medicare card or Social Security card, you can have a notary review those documents have have the notary sign an affidavit that he has examined those documents and that they appear to be authentic. The notary would also state in his affidavit that he has questioned your father about these documents and that it is his opinion that the documents appear to be your Dad's. Note, there is no affidavit form. Instead, the notary is preparing and then signing an affidavit of his own.