Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My brother was convicted of a crime in Colorado in 1995 for

Customer Question

My brother was convicted of a crime in Colorado in 1995 for which he received a life sentence. He has a restitution amount due of $50,000. In 2000,
Colorado passed legislation (LEG CRS 1811.3(603)4 making such payment subject to interest payments.
Would that act allow them to assess interest payments for crimes committed before its passage?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am not able to find the statute you are referring to. Can you please double check that statute and let us know and provide us a link too, so we make sure we are all on the same page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://tornado.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/sl2003a/sl_151.htmhttp://www.hkjp.com/Articles-Table-of-Contents/Criminal-Restitution-Impact-00628857.pdf
Thank you for your reply.
I was wondering if you had a typo in the way you typed the statute number and it was 18-1.3-603 not 1811.3(603) and actually section 602, which is where the statute says restitution includes interest. That clears things up.
According to the Act, it took effect September 1, 2003, and shall apply to offenses committed on or after said date. If your brother's offense was committed before September 1, 2003, it would not be impacted by the change as the legislature did not say the act would be retroactive.