CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I gave a relative funds to invest on my behalf that was never

Customer Question

I gave a relative funds to invest on my behalf that was never done,the return of these funds where refused to be returned!
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to learn of this situation. You can sue your sister for breach of contract (and breach of fiduciary duty). If the amount in question is $3,500.00 or less, you can sue in small claims court, see: http://justicecourts.maricopa.gov/CaseTypes/smallclaims.aspx, if it is greater than that amount, you will need to sue in general civil court).Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.