CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I own a RV Park in California.When I bought the park a motor

Customer Question

I own a RV Park in California.When I bought the park a motor home was left by the seller and was never put in my name. A girl moved into the home in the (RV Park) the police say I have to get a legal eviction.Thought this was untrue in drive though overnight 24 day max rv park. What do I have to do to remove her from the rv park?I already posted 3 notice to pay or quit.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
You do need to go through this (even though you are operating an overnight RV park, you have an occupant living in this particular unit, so she is going to be protected by the landlord/tenant laws even though the park itself operates a different type of business (the law focuses on the individual tenant/occupant's use).You have already given 3 days notice, so this is the first step, following that you will then need to go through the unlawful detainer process (the California Courts have a very helpful website, complete with forms, to help you with this): http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-eviction.htmI have outlined the general process below:Terminating a tenancy-1) Notice: The first step in any termination is giving notice, the landlord can simply give notice that they no longer want the tenant to live there (this is usually 30 days, or 60 days, and it can be done for no reason whatsoever, there is no fault, and while the tenant must relocate, they are not being "evicted" and there is no blemish on their rental history), they can give a "notice to pay or quit" (usually 3 day or 5 day depending on the state, and the tenant has this amount of time to pay rent that they missed or move out), "notice to "cure or quit" (the tenant has breached the lease - broken something, noisy, etc. and must stop it or fix it within the notice period, again 3 days, 5 days, or 10 days), or a "notice to quit" (this is a 3 day or 5 day notice that says the tenant has messed up so badly they can do nothing but move out within the notice period - there is no chance to "cure" - this often happens when there is illegal activity on the property). 2) Unlawful detainer/forcible entry and detainer (this is the legal proceeding where the landlord goes to court and sues the tenant to get possession - the tenant has an opportunity to appear and defend the action, common defenses include improper notice, breach of the lease (such as failure to maintain the property - "inhabitable conditions"). If the tenant answers the complaint, the parties can take "discovery" from one another and get additional information before a court trial before a judge. 3) A judgment of possession/writ of eviction - if the landlord wins the trial, they get a judgment of possession and the court will issue a "writ of eviction." 4) Forcible eviction - this happens when the Sheriff or Constable serves the writ of eviction - some jurisdictions give a courtesy notice the day or two before the eviction, others do not, but the end result is the sheriff overseeing the landlord's movers removing all of the tenant's possessions from the property and placing them on the curb, and the tenants are forcibly removed from the property. At that point, the landlord can change the locks and the tenant can no longer return (They have been "evicted").