Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in Garrison...Philips town NY. I have a little under

Customer Question

I live in Garrison...Philips town NY. I have a little under 2 acres. here is the law for keeping horses:
The amount of land required for keeping large animals shall be 40,000 square feet, allocated to the residence, plus 40,000 square feet per "large livestock unit" (LLU). One cow, horse, bison, pig, or similar large animal shall be considered one LLU. The following shall be considered as fractional LLUs:
(a)
Deer, llama, alpaca: 1/2 LLU.
(b)
Sheep, emu, ostrich: 1/4 LLU.
(c)
Goat: 1/6 LLU.
(d)
Other large animals: as determined appropriate by the Zoning Administrative Officer or the Zoning Board of Appeals.
I have two miniatures together they do not weigh what a regular horse would weigh. I am wondering if my neighbors try to make an issue could my minis be considered a 1/2 or smaller LLU>
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops I have 1.23 acres which is about 53sf. so that does not even get me a house and goat (assuming then minis can be considered goat size) now I need to know if therapy or service animals are exempt
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
1 acre is 43,560 square feet, so you have 53578.8 sq. feet (I presume your 53 sq ft was a typo). The law does not make any exception for minis. However, a service/emotional support animal would be exempt pursuant to federal law, Americans with Disabilities Act. To qualify for a service or emotional support animal, you must prove you have a disability and you are substantially limited in a major life activity that the animal provides emotional support for or service for. So if a complaint is made to zoning, then you would have to prove that the animals are emotional support and service animals and you have the supporting documentation of your disability and a doctor determining the animal is required for your disability.