Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I worked man who lives in California. I registered his

Customer Question

I worked for a man who lives in California. I registered his business in NH, the state of NH can not force him to pay my wages, just require a hearing, do I reach out to the State of California for assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I worked for him for 6 weeks and my wage claim to the state of NH is 5400.00. They told me they can not require him to pay me. If he were a NH resident they could impose penalties and put a lien on any NH properties, but he lives in CA. HELP!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Since NH has no personal jurisdiction over him, you have to file your wage claim against him in CA. If CA EDD cannot pursue the claim (http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm), you must sue him in CA to have a court there obtain personal jurisdiction against him.
If you have to sue in CA, and you can sue for the wages due PLUS an amount equal to the wages due for damages PLUS attorney's fees. Additionally, you could sue for the cost of having to travel to CA to sue in Superior Court, because that would put you over the $10,000 limit for small claims.
So you should sue him in CA for the $10,800 plus expenses and attorney's fees as the CA court has jurisdiction over him.