Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am very troubled. I started a non profit and rented a spot.

Customer Question

I am very troubled. I started a non profit and rented a spot. paid a contractor to do work and he basically ripped me off, stopped the job and now I am tapped out. It's been 4 months, I have no income coming in, been paying rent and am obligated to a landlord. Contractor lied about having a building permit and did the work without one. I literally had to do all the work with the county to obtain bldg. permit approval. Called him yesterday about the job and he cursed me out and hung up the phone. each time I try to reach out to him in the past, he always say he will call back and never does. I was researching options to proceed against him.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have the option to first file a complaint with the GA Attorney General for them not performing under the contract and taking money for the work. If the GA Attorney General cannot resolve the claim, you have to file suit against the contractor in court for all of the damages he caused you to suffer, including money you paid him and any loss of income to the non-profit.
Those are the two options. If the contractor took money for work not done and provided false permits, the AG is likely to assist you in pursuing this as these are violations of the contractor laws and unfair and deceptive practices.