Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I WAS IN JAIL AND I

Customer Question

I WAS IN JAIL AND I WAS FIGHTING MY CASE MY BAIL WAS TO HIGH SO I STAYED IN JAIL UN TILL I TOOK A PLEA WHILE I WAS IN JAIL THE SOCIAL SECURITY STILL PAYED ME BUT WHEN I GOT OUT OF JAIL THEY SAID I OWED THE MONEY BACK ARE THEY LEGALLY ABLE TO MAKE ME PAY
BACK THAT MONEY.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
How long did you stay in jail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 MONTHS
Thank you for your follow up.When a person is incarcerated for more than 30 days, his/her social security benefits would normally be suspended under the law and if the benefits were paid while the person was in jail, that would result in an overpayment, which would have to be paid back and if not, then Social Security Administration will simply deduct / withhold an amount (at their discretion) from the current and future Social Security payments. I am very sorry to provide you with this badnews, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provideJustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is notfavorable to the customer. I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!