Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My wife and i borrowed the money to buy our home from her Father.

Customer Question

My wife and i borrowed the money to buy our home from her Father. There was a contract and we were supposed to pay back the money over 15 years and then he would transfer title to us. It was all handled through an escrow company and I was assured it was a legal and binding contract for purpose of real property. the only problem is that now my wife and I are going through a divorce and she wants to keep the house but now claims that it is her "father's house" because title is in his name. apparently, my wife has not made any payments since we separated even though she is in the house and her father has admitted that he has no intention of making her repay the note but he too says the house is his because title is in his name and I am out of luck. This can't be right. We borrowed $100,000 from my wife's father 10 years ago and the debt was down to less than $20,000 when we separated. My father in law has never sent any notices or taken any legal steps to call the note, he just says he is the owner because title is in his name. What are my legal rights?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Was all this documented in a written contract?
.
Or was it all verbal?
.
Do you have a copy of the contract?
.
.
thanks