Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

My husband and myself had some mail stolen with a money order

Customer Question

My husband and myself had some mail stolen with a money order in each from the local post office cashed all on the same day. The post office said it's not there responsibility. We have the persons name and fingerprints of who cashed the orders. They were cashed at wells Fargo bank, the banks says they don't cash orders that are not from there bank so even if the person deposited them its clear on the copy they were not his. Since then we have been given the run around and we have had to pay out more to cover what was stolen. We have filed a police report and the guy who stole the money has a record do we have a small claim?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you could take him to small claims court on the issue, depending on the amount. Different states have different monetary caps in small claims. However, based on the proof that you have as to the conversion of the instrument, you can take him to small claims court. Of course, as you may know, this is a federal crime as well. It may not be a bad idea to also report this person to the FBI and the US Inspector General as well. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!