How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and myself had some mail stolen with a money order

Customer Question

My husband and myself had some mail stolen with a money order in each from the local post office cashed all on the same day. The post office said it's not there responsibility. We have the persons name and fingerprints of who cashed the orders. They were cashed at wells Fargo bank, the banks says they don't cash orders that are not from there bank so even if the person deposited them its clear on the copy they were not his. Since then we have been given the run around and we have had to pay out more to cover what was stolen. We have filed a police report and the guy who stole the money has a record do we have a small claim?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you could take him to small claims court on the issue, depending on the amount. Different states have different monetary caps in small claims. However, based on the proof that you have as to the conversion of the instrument, you can take him to small claims court. Of course, as you may know, this is a federal crime as well. It may not be a bad idea to also report this person to the FBI and the US Inspector General as well. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!