Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Was accused in 2002 of medicare fraud as an RN

Customer Question

was accused in 2002 of medicare fraud for working as an RN while on an OIG 5yr exclusion. was given restitution of 325000 for money I wasnt allowed to earn.. the victim was faceless so it became the government. as aresult of the conviction my RN license was revoked and a 22yr medicare exclusion or debarment was imposed which basically is a career death sentence.and a bar from working in any job that receive federally health care dollars. will never be able to repay this..Ps is my husbands finances required on a criminal finacial report which is for my restitution?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your husband's finances are included because the income is community property and thus you have access to a right to an undivided 1/2 interest in that income. Thus, this is why the report seeks the information on your restitution report, since the undivided 1/2 interest in his income is attributed to you.
You need to consider sitting with a local criminal defense attorney to seek to apply for a reduction in restitution based on your total finances and the sentence prohibiting your ability from performing any work within your education and training to earn income to make the restitution. It is an outside chance, but the only chance to seek to reduce the reimbursement.