Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is it illegal person to remove the property marking steel

Customer Question

Is it illegal for a person to remove the property marking steel stakes without the owners permission?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Yes, the person can be charged with "willful and wanton injury to real property" under NC Statutes 14-127. This is a Class 1 misdemeanor.
.
§ 14-127. Willful and wanton injury to real property.
If any person shall willfully and wantonly damage, injure or destroy any real property whatsoever, either of a public or private nature, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
.
So the property owner can file a criminal complaint against the person who did this and seek to have them charged for the offense as well as sue them civilly for the cost of having the boundaries re-pinned by the surveyor.
.
.
thanks