Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My husband (we're separated, but not divorced) has just had

Customer Question

My husband (we're separated, but not divorced) has just had a serious accident and is uninsured. After spending 4 days in hospital, and no doubt incurring large medical bills, Im worried that I will be persued for his medical debts. I live out of the country now, but my husband remains in the United States, in Florida.
Can a hospital, or physician pursue ME for my husbands growing medical debt?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
While Florida follows the legal doctrine of necessaries, which would make a spouse liable for medical debts of the other spouse, one of the requirements for application of the doctrine is that you both be living together.
So, you should not be liable.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.